Monday, July 20, 2009

"Class" Reunion

This past Saturday was an amazing day, encompassing the full spectrum of human experience...ok maybe that is overstating it but it was a blast.

I had the chance to attend a "what's the next thing now that you're done teaching high school band" party for an amazing guy, John Riggle.
Two hundred or so folks showed up to the picnic and for close to a full day celebrated this man's influence on our lives. As the sun started to set there were a number of folks who were not quite ready to be finished so for 40 or so folk the party moved to a local burgery.

Finally, having closed the place down, the last few of us started to wander out to out cars.

I got in behind the wheel, closed the door and heard this wierd kind of slithering, crunching sound behind me. Looking back over my shoulder I saw the shattered remains of the back passenger window. My brain didn't instantly process what I was seeing. My first though was, "Wow, someone must have accidentally thrown a rock through my window."
Of course, it was probably not a rock and certainly not an accident.

Parked in a well lit parking lot, directly under a light, someone had seen my bags on the back seat and decided they needed them more than I did. Which means I "donated":

1 Commuter/transition bag back pack containing:
1 Canon digital camera + 2 lenses + 100 or so pictures from the day + pictures of my Nieces dedication
1 ATT tilt cell phone + ALL the phone numbers of anyone I know
1 key to my car back on Colorado (the ONLY key I have mind you)

1 Champion carry-on duffle containing:
1 old favorite Disney baseball cap
1 pair of running shoes
1 full set of work out clothing
2 favorites shirts
1 favorite pair of shorts
1 set of business meeting clothes for Monday
Sundry toiletries and underwear

Fortunately my laptop, Bose headphones and ipod were on the floor of the front seat and escaped notice.

Sunday was a full day hassle of trying to get rental cars managed, computer power back, cell phones handled, teeth brushed, and clean clothed...but here's the thing:

Had you told me when I left that I would have a great day followed by a HUGE hassle...I'd still do it all over again.

If you weren't in band in high school, or some similar organization, then you can't possibly understand what it is to "live" with a group of folks for most of your high school years.
Other than thinking of band people as geeks you wouldn't get the notion of competing in something that is physical, mental, and artistic all at the same time.
If you've not been back to a reunion with those folks then you wouldn't understand how the connection, and the stories last and...you certainly wouldn't realize the depth of influence that someone like a John Riggle can have on so many people.

So band peeps? It was AWESOME...I hope to stay in closer touch with many of you having reconnected.
Mr. Riggle? Thanks for al you poured into us
Ed? Thanks for all your work on an amazing shindig
Elaine? Thanks for letting me use your cell phone to call the cops. :)
Kate, Denise, and Joel? Thanks for hanging out until he was done dusting for prints.

Sunnyvale High School Marching Jets?
Thank you for a truly "Class" Reunion...

...and send me pics. Mine are inside a camera that someone will no doubt get really cheap at the flea market next weekend.

1 comment:

Katy Feist said...

Hi there, Curt!
So glad you had a great time despite the midnight hour debacle....and you said it perfectly. I think SHS Band alumni are in a class all by themselves - because LOOK what we did when we were kids, and LOOK how we honored the man that made us what we are today. Mr Riggle truly is a hero, and the influence on my life is permanent - hard to settle for "good enough", but to always strive for being the best. We were and are still champions.
Have a safe journey home....and hope to see you soon (give me 9 months to get in "shape" once I get the green light).
Love ya
kate