Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Genesis 19:1 - 21:34

Sodom, Gamorrah, and Abraham's investment scheme

The destruction of these two evil cities is a fairly well known Bible story. I think it shows that God was still pretty intimately involved in men's affairs on earth in a very physical sense at this point.
I find it interesting that Abraham bargained God down from fifty people to ten in order to keep the cities from being destroyed (Gen 18:22-33) and then it turns out there were only 4 who were allowed to leave. Abraham should have done his homework.
The description of the destruction sounds like volcanic activity to me...something that struck me more clearly this time...what with burning sulfur raining down and the destruction of the entire plain...probably from lava flow. Even Lot's wife turning into a "pillar of salt" sounds like a reasonable description of a body that has had all the water evaporated out of it due to great heat. Even the fact that Abraham looks the next morning and sees smoke rising from the area seems to support a volcanic eruption. (Not that is HAS to be that but I think God tends to use the tools atr hand rather than going out of his way to throw in one-offs.)

Interesting too is the pleading of Lot that he can't possibly make it to the mountains but would rather go to the small town of Zoar. Of course he is permitted to do so but then quickly leaves Zoar because he is afraid to stay there....and goes to the mountains:
"God I know you have a plan but couldn't we do it my way instead?"
"Ok, I'll allow you to try it your way."
"Wow, this isn't working out. Let's do it God's way instead."
Important time saving tip: Do it God's way the first time.

Lot's daughetrs obviously have an intersting moral perspective, no doubt as a result of being surrounded by the morality of Sodom and Gamorrah growing up.

Then we come to Abraham's traveling investment scheme:
"Anytime we go someplace that has wealth potential you say you're my sister. That way the ruler of the area will take you in, (apparently Sarah is SO good looking she is desireable even when she is 'old and well advamnced in years') be convicted by God of the error of his ways, and pay us off in livestock, land, and loot."

I had the chance to spend some time in Ukraine as a missionary and I remember going with a friend there to get train tickets to Kiev. We were traveling with an entire football team and we needed to get tickets on a supposedly "sold out" train. My friend told me that "sold out" meant merely that we were expected to pay a bribe. I was perplexed because I wanted to explain that we should trust God...but he said the bribe was simple enough: "Autographed picutre of the team and some chocolates". Of course it all worked out and we got the tickets just fine.
That has always reminded me a bit of Abraham's dealings here.
We can read it as him trusting himself rather than God I suppose.
Or we could read it as him understanding the system and playing it wisely with a dash of God showing up to protect the innocent...in this case Abimelech and in the last instance Pharaoh.

I'm not sure HOW to interpret it but I have told my wife that if we ever have occassion to eat dinner with a billionaire she shouldn't be surprised if I introduce her as 'my sister'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was kind of long to go through Job and I was getting impatient with his friends, kind of wanting to get to the end of the book, because I knew the end and that it would be like watching the end of a movie (probably a Disney movie): “And they lived happily ever after”. I thought of people I know that go through so much stuff at once and you wonder why so much, and how much we, as humans beings, are able to endure. God was with him all along, but He was quiet, and that’s when it is really hard to endure and keep going, when there is silence. So, over all, kudos to Job.

I always enjoyed reading about Abraham. Did Sara ever say: “No, I don’t want to tell them I’m your sister”? Maybe that didn’t even cross her mind and it was part of the culture to submit to your husband, no matter what. !?

Maria