Saturday, February 28, 2009

Two months!!

If you're reading through the bible in a year you've made it two months today...way to go!!

Numbers 4:34 - 6:27

I freely confess I don't get the whole piece in Numbers 5:11 -29.
I do understand the ritualistic punishment of the woman but you would think there would be something in there about the male adulterer too. I suppose culturally there must have been something about the position of women that made it easier for them to "fall prey" and harder to find the man responsible...but still...seems like the guys are off the hook.

The Nazarite vow thing is cool...that knowledge will come in handy when we read about Samson later...especially given that he breaks his vow. I knew the hair growing was symbolic as was the shaving...I'm looking forward to reading his story to see what is going on when his head DOES get shaved.

The poetic blessing at the end of chapter 6 is one of my favorite passages. I've used it a number of times when doing baptisms:

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace

...and may He do all that as you enter the third month of reading.

No comments: